I have a little problem here. I am a very indecisive person when it comes to a lot of things in life... including big investments.
Nearly a year ago I started working a mini-job additionally to uni to save money and finally buy my first fullframe camera.
Originally I wanted the Sony Alpha 7ii for many reasons, most importantly its price compared to Canons expensive 5D series. But the "new" Canon EOS 6D Mark II got me thinking...
I have been pending this decision long enough and I just got more confused and don't know what to do, so help is desperately needed
I will try to explain what my biggest points are: (wanted to keep it short, but it's still a lot to read, sorry)
- Price: Technically the Sony is still cheaper, but there is no way in hell I am going to buy Sony lenses, so I need an adapter to use my Canon lenses and the resulting price will be about the same.
- Autofocus: Sony has more AF points and from what I read in reviews it's also better, BUT potentially much worse because of the adapter
- Lenses: As I said I am using my Canon lenses anyway, but with the Sony I could also use a lot more vintage lenses like the Canon FD lenses I own (which don't work on Canon EOS) and others
- Focus Peaking: Probably very helpful especially when using the old lenses and only with the Sony
- Battery llife: Obviously the Canon will last me 3-4 times longer...
- Screen: A tiltable screen was one of the reasons I definitely wanted a Sony, because the 5Ds have none, but now the 6Dii does, and it's even flippable... and touchable
- Handling: I have only been able to try the Sony in the store for like 2 minutes with a nervous employee looking over my shoulder. The handling is different obviously, but nothing I couldn't get used to I think.
- Other Sony bonuses: better image quality, higher dynamic range, image stabilization, lighter and smaller
- Other Canon bonuses: higher max. ISO, higher max. shutter speed, GPS, slightly higher resolution
Canons biggest pros: the battery life, the flippable touchscreen, maybe the GPS and that I am lazy and would rather not switch to a new system
Canons biggest con: the image quality (in comparison)
Sonys biggest pros: focus peaking, that I could adapt more lenses, maybe the image stabilization and of course the mentioned image quality
Sonys biggest con: the adapter (I don't trust it)
What do you think? Maybe you own one of those cameras? Maybe you are someone that switched from DSLR to mirrorless?
Or do you have another camera suggestion - 5D, Sony 7, 7R, 7Rii, wait for the 7iii or something completely different?
Anyways I would love to hear your opinion on this!
I also made a poll on my profile page where you can vote, but a comment would be really helpful
Thanks so much